14 Jun 9 Ab Exercises to Tone Your Core
Who doesn’t dream of a flat, toned core? Sometimes it feels like no matter how many crunches you do you can’t seem to find the results you’re looking for. A strong, sculpted core doesn’t have only exist in your dreams. With the right mix of cardio, core exercises, and diet, you can strengthen and tone your deep core muscles while shedding inches off your waist.
Here are three of our go-to core exercises inspired by some of the workouts we’ve been doing on BurnAlong!
- Plank jacks. Think plank, but with cardio! Plank jacks help you tone your core while increasing your heart rate so you can double down on the results. Come into a plank position, hands directly under shoulders. Legs are zipped together and engaged. Your body is in one straight line from the base of your tailbone to the crown of your head. Begin to move your legs in the motion of a jumping jack, jumping your legs out wide and bringing them back together. Start off by doing 3 sets of 15 plank jacks and work your way up! (Tip: People have a tendency to lift their hips up in this pose, be sure to keep them down to engage the core completely!)
- Leg raises. Leg raises are great for toning the transverse abdominal muscles – AKA those deep core muscles that often get overlooked in traditional crunches. Keep your lower back flat on the mat, bring your legs together and raise your feet up to a 90-degree angle. Continue to breathe as you lift and lower your legs for 10-15 reps.
- Dolphin pushups. This full body exercise will help sculpt your core, shoulders, and arms. Start in a forearm plank pose and walk your feet up to a modified downward facing dog, also known as dolphin pose. On your inhale shift your weight forward into a plank pose, head and chin moves over hands and exhale back to down dog. Repeat 10 times and then take a well-deserved break in child’s pose.
Bonus: 6 short core sculpting videos!
Need an extra push to tone your core? We have some killer ab workouts on BurnAlong that will do the trick.
Monte Sanders from MBS Fitness Lab is known for his Ab City Shred series. His bootcampers have seen serious results by coupling cardio with abdominal exercises to tone and flatten their tummies. Here are a few of our favs and catch a sneak preview of the classes!
A few other great core-strengthening workouts include:
- Pilates Arms and Abs Workout from Kristin McGee Yoga *Featured class
- Killer Ab Routine from Dani K. Gym & Wellness
- Barre Ab Blast from Marie Christine’s Dance & Fitness
What are your favorite ab exercises? Leave a comment below so we can find out!