At Burnalong, we’re all about community and connecting our members to their favorite instructors. So, the other day we sat down with Kristen Hall Poage owner of Marie Christine’s Dance & Fitness Studio to shed some light on why she decided to become a fitness instructor and studio owner, what motivates her personal workouts, how she helps her students achieve their goals and what she has learned along the way.
- What do you teach? I teach Barre, Pilates, and HiiT classes.
- How did you get into fitness? Fitness was an outlet that helped me deal with stress during my teenage years. It became a sort of therapy that enabled me to get through just about anything that I was dealing with at the time. What started as a hobby quickly developed into a passion as I reached adulthood.
- How do you motivate yourself? I’m definitely a Type-A personality, so I love a good challenge. At the same time, fitness has taught me to be more flexible physically, mentally, and emotionally. I love to say, “It’s about progress, not perfection.” So, in order to motivate myself, I set goals that are highly achievable while still challenging.
- How do you motivate others? I motivate others much the way I motivate myself. While most individuals know that working out will be challenging, they are usually very hard on themselves when they are unable to achieve something in class right away. I remind them that we should be kind towards ourselves as nothing really worthwhile is accomplished overnight. I am also constantly telling my clients to listen to their bodies! They know their own limitations better than anyone.
- In your classes, how do you accommodate different skill and fitness levels? In each class, I offer a variety of modifications, beginner through advanced so that each client can determine what is best for their body on any given day.
- What are the top 3 exercises you recommend for every client?
I recommend that every person have a well-rounded routine that consists of stretching, overall toning, and cardio. Each individual should listen to their body in order to determine the exact exercises that would most benefit them in all three categories listed.
- How can people best prepare for your classes? People can best prepare for my classes by keeping an open mind as to what they think a normal fitness class will be. While I stress that good form is key to having an effective and safe workout, I also believe that physical fitness should be enjoyable, even fun!
- Who are your heroes and role models? My fitness heroes and role models are: Cassey Ho of POP Pilates, Suzanne Bowen of Suzanne Bowen Fitness, and Tracey Mallett of bootybarre. These women have achieved incredible success in the Fitness and Wellness industry, and are still so humble and relational.
- What exercise challenge would you encourage people to do? I would encourage people to find a workout that they love and stick with it. Consistency is key, as most of life is just about endurance. Fitness is no different! It’s a way of life, not something to be conquered once and for all. And, when they’ve found what they love doing in order to stay fit, they will keep going back for more even when things are challenging.
Now that you got to know Kristen a little better, be sure to check out some of her classes on Burnalong. We have just added a popular new class – Barre Burn – which is a full workout set to a faster pace to let you maximize results in a minimum amount of time.
Go ahead, raise the barre!