Capitol Movement is on a mission to build better lives through dance and we could not be more thrilled have them as a BurnAlong partner. Based in Washington, D.C., Capitol Movement provides programs and opportunities to all dancers, regardless of socioeconomic barriers, through their studio classes, workshops, outreach, scholarships, and community engagements. And now you can find their classes on BurnAlong! These inspiring individuals aim to make dance accessible and affordable, so whether you grew up dancing your entire life or believe you have two left feet, you can now take Capitol Movement classes from the comfort of your own home — or wherever you are!
We sat down with Stephanie Jojokian and Jamilla Keene — the fabulous instructors behind our newest “High Hells Workout,” which you must check out — for a quick Q&A to get to know where they find inspiration and strength.
- What type of fitness classes do you teach? Heels, dance, and lower body workouts.
- What is it like to take a class at Capitol Movement? Stress relieving and challenging all in one.
- What inspired you to pursue health and wellness as a career? Dance is our vehicle for health and wellness. It doesn’t feel like work when you love it!
- How do you motivate and encourage others to exercise and make healthy choices? We motivate by fun and inclusive classes. We share our own experiences and love of essential oils and their benefits.
- If you only had 5-minutes to workout a day, what would you do? Core work (P.S.: Their colleagues Hilary and Ashley have an amazing Core Workout on BurnAlong!)
- What’s your favorite type of exercise? Dance!
- What’s your guilty pleasure? Jamilla said, “Reality TV!” and Stephanie said, “COFFEE!”
- Name a TV show are you binging on or book you can’t put down! Jamilla says, “Deuces on HBO,” Stephanie says, “I only have time to read my kids books!”
- Who are a few of your role models or mentors? Jamilla said, “My mom” and “Stephanie Jojokian for dance.” Stephanie says, “Carlo Perlo, Founder of Dance Place.”
- What is your biggest piece advice to anyone starting to live a more active and healthier lifestyle? Stephanie says, “Make it fun…and get a partner.” Jamilla says, “Try something outside of your box…you may love it!”
If you’re in the D.C. area, be sure to check out Capitol Movement! If not, find their classes on BurnAlong. We highly recommend Heels Workout for Legs with Stephanie and Jamilla, Hip Hop & Reggae with Katrina, Conditioning with Nicole, Burn with Hilary and Ashley, and Dance Class Warm Up with Stephaine.